Month in Magazines™

8.17.2007 | |

If you know me, you know that I like magazines. A LOT! I have a few that I subscribe to, a few that I buy every month, and a bunch that I alternate buying based on the content any given month. I'm the dude reading weird magazines by myself at a coffee shop with a tilted head as I try not to bend/break the spine. Too many years reading comic books ruined my ability to carelessly read anything. I'll tell you all about this month's magazines...just don't ask to borrow any.



From Australia, these guys have an affinity towards surf content. Duh, it's a surf mag. But the other articles are pretty rad. This issue featured Girl's Art Dump, an Amy Winehouse article and some pretty rad music reviews.

In honor of Colette's 10th year in the game, Arkitip/Ed Banger/So me got together and created one hell of an issue. The folks over at Arkitip never fail anyways, this just so happens to be an exceptional issue. Comes with a special Ed Banger mix by Busy P. Straight dope.

The very first issue of Antenna. This mag is cover to cover packed full of dope gear. Anything from jeans, sneakers, coats, phones, cameras to soda pop and shaving cream. It's quarterly....and the subscription is cheap. Get it.

I like Japan. I've never been there...and I know I like it. I like the culture, the consumerism amazes me, I enjoy manga, am hyped on their street wear/fashion trends....the list goes on. Cute Japanese girls on the cover aren't bad either. This issue was all about models, both male and female. Of course they only put the ladies on the cover. Duh! It is all in Japanese, so good look deciphering it. It's rad to enjoy on a purely aesthetic level though, as it is well designed and produced.

This title is pretty sick. Has to do with a lot of topics month to month. It appears that occasionally they do "casa" issues. I had ordered the Eames issue, which was a very special english version. Some how I ended up with the Le Corbusier issue. All the same, I'll probably just reorder and cross my fingers. I haven't opened it up yet to take a peak. I'm sure it's good.

Again, I ordered something and got something else. No problem....I'll just keep trying.

I occasionally buy Azure. It's pretty hit or miss. This issue however looked exceptional on the cover. Yes, I bought it for the cover. Oh how I wish I lived in this space.

Dwell....dwell....dwell....my old standby. This magazine ALWAYS delivers. The first magazine that I subscribed to in a long time. Comes out 10 times a year. Those two months where there is an absence of an issue are hell for me. HELL I say. The type, the masthead, the non-glossy covers, the way they use CMYK blocks in their article titles.....brilliant.


Possibly the BEST magazine in the world right now. I am seriously thinking of cheating on DWELL with Monocle. It's that good. This thing is dense. A good 200-250 pages. Mostly type. It is smaller in size, The covers are alway consistently black glossy with white, yellow and solid photography. Opening this thing up, and getting a whiff of it's subtly designed matte pages is akin to what I believe a cold beer on a hot summer beer is to most. The magazine is only on issue 5 right now. It was started by Tyler Brule', the founder and former owner of Wallpaper*. The premise for Monocle is to bring a worldly perspective to all aspects of life, but centering around 5 main themes of:Affairs, Business, Culture, Design and Expo. Each addresses a multitude of topics that span from Japan's Maritime Defense Force to the way Monocle would design an urban center. Seriously, if you give two shits about the world around you, and consider yourself even the most fickle modernist, you need to pick this up. Also published 10 times a year, get ready for some serious depression twice a year. Issue 6 is on the way. It drops in the UK on August 23rd. We're looking at about a month lead time after that. It's $10 american per issue. It is also supplemented by an extensive website with not only supplemental content, but exclusive content at that. A subscription is about $150...so it's more expensive then just buying it at your local store. But trust me, that website is amazing. They had all their supplemental content available for the first few months. They get you hooked....then they pull away a bit. Good marketing.

0 comments: