Look ma, I'm sponsored...or...free Field Notes™

8.19.2007 | |


The talented folks over at Coudal Partners buddied up with the ever-clever Mr. Draplin of Draplin Design Co. to produce a nice and functional throw back to the good ole' days of actually writing things down. Novel idea huh?
To quote their story:

"INSPIRED BY the vanishing subgenre of agricultural memo books, ornate pocket ledgers and the simple, unassuming beauty of a well-crafted grocery list, the Draplin Design Co., Portland, Ore.-in conjunction with Coudal Partners, Chicago, Ill.-brings you "FIELD NOTES" in hopes of offering, "an honest memo book, worth fillin' up with GOOD INFORMATION."

To me this all sounds fucking awesome. I'm a chronic note taker, list maker, receipt keeping hoarder of shit most throw away, or forget about. To illustrate just how tedious (or just plain odd) I have upheld this standard of complexity in regards to minutia, I call to your attention exhibit A.)

A torn-off corner of a hold slip for a "jake" from my long-gone days at Fobia. Yes, I've been holding onto this obscure piece of paper for over 3 years. I've kept it this long because I'm so excited about how the "k" and the "e" look together. This was around the time when I was reteaching myself cursive. This is only the tiniest tip of the iceberg of things I've written down, taped-into or downright torn out of in my years-long quest for "cool stuff": particularly information. In this day in age, where everyone seemingly has access to everything with globalization, and the internet, having unique information and record of it/access to it, is quite possibly the true last luxury. Each of our sets of experiences is a "one off", and subsequently a very precious commodity....or more specifically a "covet able good". I know that all of you out there have extremely special "goods" that you have nodoubtedly kept or hoarded in the face of humiliation and odd explanations (especially while moving..."honey?.....what the hell IS THIS?" Let this be your venue for sharing said "goods". I've shared one of mine, now it's your turn.

0 comments: